Dog vomit implications.
Dog vomit color guide – Dogs do vomit and at times it may even be a case of vomit spell during which the owner may witness substances of different colors, thickness and textures. Each component of vomit carries a secret message that needs to be understood carefully so as to understand its implication and impact on the general health of dogs. A pet owner, in the first-place, needs to understand the difference between vomiting and regurgitation. While vomiting refers to the throwing out of food and water that has already passed into the stomach, regurgitation refers to expelling only the contents present in the esophagus. Color coding of dog vomit is quite handy to get an early symptom of probable causes of many illnesses. The pet parents not only need to focus on the color but also on the pattern of retching noises, contraction of ribs and tummy writhing movements etc. The fluid possesses useful information based on colors, quantity, size of particles, smell and consistency of spurts. One can take a clue about the problem and proceed accordingly for treatment and cure.
Why do dogs’ vomit?
Dogs vomit for a host of reasons. They may upset their stomach by eating something hard to digest and assimilate. Vomiting may be seen as a corrective measure in dogs. Dogs are known to swallow anything or everything guided by their scavenging instinct. Vomiting, in this context, can be seen as a means of rectifying this mistake by the body to get rid of the unwanted substances. The body tries to protect itself by throwing out the offensive things. However, vomiting might even indicate serious health threats. Vomit can take place in dogs even due to dietary indiscretion, presence of parasites in their digestive tract, food poisoning or food allergies, change in diet ,acidity or even due to consumption of highly processed food which is generally incompatible to their digestive system.
Range of dog vomit
Dog vomit varies in its context and thickness. Each episode contains a load of information for the pet owners. If the vomit contains food particles, it appears chunky. This usually indicates undigested food particles present in the digestive tract. Liquid dog vomit is very light weight and is suggestive of problems other than indigestion as the stomach happens to be empty. Sometimes the vomiting is caused to throw out the foreign objects such as plastic toys, food wrappers etc. that they accidentally swallow at times. Besides visible evidences, the pet owner must also record the frequency of vomit; the time passed since previous meal taken by the dog; the kind of food consumed by the dog immediately before vomiting; change in appetite and other such similar symptoms and abnormal behavior.
Dog vomit color guide
The vomit color of dog plays an important role in getting a clue about his illness because it can be easily noticed and recorded. A proper analysis on the basis of dog vomit color guide can help the owner accurately diagnose the illness.
Following are some of the common dog vomit colors and their implications: –
- Green vomit: – Dogs who habitually consume vegetation such as grass etc. throw out greenish vomit. The chlorophyll present in the vegetation matter stains the liquid part of vomit green. Saliva, enzymes, bile and acids are stained to different extents producing an entire range of shades of green color. However, if sudden green vomit occurs, it may be due to the presence of bile in the stomach. This could be possibly because of obstruction in the intestine which may require immediate intervention.
- Yellow vomit: – yellow color of dog vomit indicates the presence of bile in small concentration. If a dog spends a long-time without eating anything, the accumulated bile may be thrown out as a yellow vomit. If the condition is not serious, it may be cured simply by feeding dog more frequently.
- Black vomit: -Mostly the dogs that are engaged in digging around in the dirt and eating soil etc. are known to vomit black color. However, the possibility of stomach ulcer or a toxic can also not be ruled out.
- Red vomit: – Red color of vomit could be either attributed to the object of red color that was earlier consumed by the dog or it could be blood in vomit. Blood vomit may be caused due to the problems related to ulcers, stomach irritation or some other damage to the gastro intestinal conditions. Blood vomit is a serious affair and needs immediate consultation with the vet followed by diagnosis and treatment.
- White vomit: -White vomit is mostly caused due to foam. Such foam may be formed either by circulation of liquid in the stomach or by the liquid coming in contact with air. If it is purely foam, it suggests that despite efforts, the dog is not being able to throw out. An immediate medical attention is needed in such a case.
- Brown vomit: -Dark brown color of vomit is mostly because of overeating. This is generally due to consumption of excretory substances by the dog. There could even be a blockage In the Intestine of the dog. Brown vomit is usually accompanied by a characteristics foul smell.
Vomiting in dogs can be caused due to a mere indigestion to a severe complication. Pet owner must closely watch the episode taking full note of the frequency, content and color of the vomit. Vomit can also dehydrate the dog within a short span of time. So, proper rehydration steps be taken promptly. It becomes necessary to know the root cause of vomiting for which color guide may prove useful. A quick diagnosis will definitely help bringing the dog back to normalcy at the earliest possible time. The dog owner must also refrain from including commercial food items in the regular diet of dogs as it contains many ingredients that are likely to cause adverse reactions in their body.